Environmental Law and Natural Resources
Entrepreneurship and environment are tightly interconnected and their objectives are frequently in contradiction with each other. In view of the priorities of the European Union regarding environment, the environmental law has become more restricting and limiting for entrepreneurs. Having consulted industrial and mining companies in Estonia for years, we have gained vast experience in all main environmental legal matters that might arise for a person who works in the environmental field. This includes matters related to the applicability of the regulations of the European Union and national law, applying for environmental permits necessary in the respective area and the disputes that might arise from it, also matters related to the emissions and waste that is generated during normal operation and environmental responsibility. Our work group has extensive experience in the representation of clients in court disputes related to environmental law and therefore we are a reliable partner both for the entrepreneur as well as the administrative body if environmental issues arise.
We advise and represent clients, among other things, in the following areas:
- applying for environmental permits (including integrated environmental permit, mining permits, waste permits), matters related to the granting, refusal to grant, amendment and revocation of permits;
- environmental fees, including calculation and reporting of environmental fees;
- environmental protection, including establishment of natural reserves and purchase of properties that are under environmental protection;
- assessing environmental impacts;
- greenhouse gas emissions and participating in the greenhouse gas emissions trading system;
- concluding agreements related to environmental objects and environmental responsibility;
- application and implementation of the EU law regulations;
- developing and amending environmental regulations;
- environmental state aid;
- environmental law violations and liability for the damage to the environment;
- environmental reports;
- waste management, including handling, transport, recycling;
- hazardous substances in the water and in the air;
- drafting legal opinions regarding the aforementioned matters;
- representation in environmental disputes, including in challenge and court proceedings.
Contact person: partner Triin Biesinger-Jussmann (Email Triin).
Selection of works
- Consultation and representation of Viru Keemia Grupp AS, one of Estonia’s biggest companies, and its subsidiaries in different environmental matters and court disputes, including oil shale mining permit proceedings and matters related to industrial emissions, environmental fees and the price limits of waste and heat.
- Representation of various clients in disputes related to the establishment of natural reserves.
- Representation of AS Merko Ehitus group and Riverito AS in environmental court disputes.
- Consultation and participation in the legislative process of different environmental regulations, including Industrial Emissions Act, Environmental Fees Act, Earth’s Crust Act, Ambient Air Protection Act.
- Representation of different clients in disputes related to the purchase of properties that are under environmental protection.
- Representation of different clients in matters related to the research and mining permits of natural resources.
- Representation of clients in various environmental disputes in the Supreme Court (Suviste Põllumajandussaadused OÜ, AS Pajker, etc.).
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements related to environmental objects and environmental responsibility.