A local government and state authority that operate smoothly and properly are the key values which need to be pursued. From a legal point of view, it means efficient administrative proceedings, legislation that is reasoned and timely adopted and reliable dispute resolution. We have extensive experience in consulting and representing local governments and state authorities in different matters of constitutional and administrative law. We also assist companies in their communication with state authorities and local governments. We prefer an approach that is based on cooperation and to resolve disputes through negotiations as this is the fastest way to get a satisfactory result for both parties involved. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to resolve a dispute by reaching a mutual agreement, in which case we will do our best to achieve our client’s objectives in the court proceedings.
We advise and represent clients, among other things, in the following areas:
- providing advice regarding the lawfulness of administrative proceedings in different areas, including general principles of the local government, state liability, spatial plans, construction, procurement, education, environmental issues, various licensing procedures, ownership reform, public and private sector partnership projects (PPP);
- preparing draft legislations (including administrative acts and general acts) and consultation related to the drafting;
- consulting clients regarding individuals’ fundamental rights and protection of freedoms, including protection of property, freedom of enterprise, right to court, etc. If necessary, initiating court proceedings in order to request that a provision is declared unconstitutional;
- providing advice during the negotiations of contracts under public law and preparing contract documents, including contracts under public law;
- civil service;
- preparing legal opinions on the above-mentioned topics;
- representing local governments and state authorities in disputes, including in challenge proceedings and in administrative court proceedings;
- representing companies and private persons in disputes with local governments and state authorities, including submitting damage claims under the State Liability Act.
Contact person: partner Triin Biesinger (Email Triin).
Selection of works
- Consultation and representation of the city of Tallinn in different administrative law matters and disputes, including in privatization questions, disputes related to the implementation of PGS, compliance with the road construction obligation and in court disputes related to the House of Blackheads (Mustpeade maja), etc.
- Representation of the city of Keila in court proceedings concerning a claim for damages.
- Representation of Järva County Government in a dispute regarding the thematic plan of the main national highway in Estonian (Tallinn-Tartu).
- Consultation and representation of various local governments (Viimsi parish, Audru parish, Saku parish, Rae parish) and private persons in planning disputes.
- Representation of the Ministry of Defence and Ida-Viru county governor in different matters related to the establishment of large infrastructure objects.